Saturday, March 11, 2006

Love At First Sight

The first time I saw him

I fell in love.

I had to have him

Sure as heaven above.


To run my hands over

His well muscled bod,

My fingers through his hair,

I’d surely thank God.


He stood strong and proud,

His head held up high

With a devilish twinkle

In each big brown eye.


As we’ve gotten acquainted

That love it did grow,

And he’s taken me everywhere

I’ve asked him to go.


He’s done things for me

He’d done for no one,

And together we always

Have barrels of fun.


Late one afternoon

He ran away with my heart,

My head, my body,

Yes… every last part.


We get along well

And if we disagree,

He soon comes ‘round

To agreeing with me.


We’re not always alone

That’s a good sign,

We do get together

With his friends and mine.


He’s not like others

I’ve known before,

He’s unique

That’s for shore.


Does the guy in your life

Bring flowers to you?

Mine takes me to flowers,

And an incredible view.



Helping with yard work

Is not problem to do,

He cuts the grass

And fertilizes, too.


He dresses in leather

And wears his hair long,

He country dances

To the pond frogs song.


Yet, he’s not that different

Than you or I’m,

His shoes still go on

One foot at a time.


Whenever we’re together,

Be it night of day,

He likes to get down

For a roll in the hay.


I’d think him a stud

If I didn’t know better,

His blood’s always hot

No matter the weather.


When I want to ride him

I whisper in his ear,

Then I mount up upon him

Our excitement is clear!


We’re not into whips

Though spurs are fair game,

I ride him real hard

And he never goes lame.


“Faster” Go Faster!”

I call out to him,

Then Sandy and Nugget

Blow past us again.


Now, breathing real hard

And dripping with sweat,

I quickly thank God

For that day we met.


Have you figured it out?

My secret, of course!

This wonderful guy

Is Whiplash… my horse!

Written in 1997

With this poem I won 1st prize at a Toastmasters Cowboy Poetry Contest. It also took a prize at the Interior Provincial Exibition at Armstrong, BC Canada. One summer I had the pleasurable experience of sharing my peotry several times at a local restaurant where they had regular "jam sessions" (the lead musician kept inviting me up and he played music softly behind me while I shared the poems). This peom seemed to be the most popular one :o) In 2003 this poem was published in Saddle Up magazine.

No comments: